Religion

Week 2, February 2015

We have been exploring the theme:

Jesus asks us to be the hope for a better tomorrow.

We have looked at what this means and how this links to our St Damian’s school expectations (Do your best, Help others succeed, Respect your environment).

I have already noticed in class and in the playground how you are doing your best to create a better tomorrow – by making new friends, helping others with their work, taking care of sick or injured friends and playing nicely in the playground.  Well done and keep up the hard work.

******************************************************************************

page1image2352 untitled

FIRST EUCHARIST REFLECTION DAY

TERM 3

At the end of term 2 and for all of Term 3 we will be looking at HOW IS JESUS PRESENT IN THE EUCHARIST.  We have attended Mass to look for Symbols and Gestures and have completed activities about the importance of the Bread and Wine.  The Road to Emmaus has been a focal point and we have been looking at the importance of this story.  We talked about having faith without needing evidence (and we touched on the story of Doubting Thomas).  

It will be a busy term for the Year 4 students who will be undertaking their First Eucharist.  There will be presentation masses, a Eucharist reflection day and then finally the Sacrament of First Eucharist. Thank you to the families who have already completed their Chalice and handed it in.

4 June. Holy Spirit

We have been learning all about the Holy Spirit.  We have learnt about the 7 Gifts and what is means to be a Spirit-Filled person.  We even spoke to the Year Six students about their Sacrament of Confirmation.  It was interesting to find out which gift they felt they used the most.

Here are some pictures of our time interviewing the Year Six students.

grade 6 num 5 grade 6 num 4 grade 6 num3 grade 6 num2

Here are our group art work pieces interpreting Pentecost.

photo 2 (6) photo 3 (5) photo 4 (5) photo 5 photo 1 (8)

3 May.  PENTECOST

Our next topic that we will be exploring is Pentecost.  We will be looking at the story of Pentecost and the importance of spreading the Good News.  We will learn about Mary and other spirit filled people.  Do you know the story of Pentecost?  What does the dove represent in this picture?

El Greco, Pentecost, 1596-1600, The Prado, Madrid the dove appears in this artwork too.

Easter

Our class read story books, listened to readings from the Bible and even watched a video story told with Lego characters all about Easter.  A group of students proudly stood up in church during our mass and sang “We gather at your table” while 3.4B acted out the last supper.  In class we used a story board to recall the main points of the Easter story and we compared the stories using a 3 circle Venn diagram.  We also used our literacy time to write snapshots from Jesus’ perspective.  We thought about how He may have been feeling in the olive garden before the guards took him away.

Jude wrote:  I’m sitting here waiting, waiting in this cold dark garden.  I felt the cold breeze hit my face, and I could see the olives drop from the dark green olive tree.  I could almost taste the cold wind, I was so sad, I wouldn’t be able to see my family again.  I wonder what will happen.

Patrick wrote: As I sit in the garden and pray, I wonder what is the worst thing that is going happen.  Is it that one of my disciples is going to betray me, that one will deny me not once but three times or the fact I’m going to die and never see Mary and Joseph and all of my disciples again?

Eleanor wrote: I am sitting here waiting for God’s help, I know guards are coming to arrest me and one of my friends will betray me.  Please God I need help! I will die soon.

Jonathan wrote: I was sitting in an olive garden meditating.  I could smell the olives, fresh air and I could hear God say that someone would betray me.  Soon I could hear guards stomping as the brightness of torches were heading my way.  Soon I was forced to get out of the olive garden and I had to carry the cross.  It was the final day.  I could hear Mary and some other women sobbing.  Then I closed my eyes, opened them again and then everything went black.

Talia wrote: I was standing in an olive garden praying to God.  I didn’t know what to do.  I know that I had to die, I stood there in the cold wind waiting from my death to come.  This was the last day of my life.

Alexis recalled the main events of the Easter Story using a Story Board format.

Reconciliation

Grade 3 students this week received the sacrament of reconciliation.  It was a lovely night and the children felt very special to be a part of this important event in their catholic life.  Well done to all the readers on the night (go Sienna!!) you did an amazing job.

The grade 3 children were presented to the parishioners at St Damian’s Church during Saturday and Sunday mass.  The children all received a copy of the Prayer of Sorrow in preparation of their 1st reconciliation.

Father Vincent and the parishioners said the following prayer:

We, the parishioners of St Damian’s, pray for these children as they prepare for the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  We pray that we may be good examples of forgiveness and healing in the way we live our lives.  May God bless these children as they continue on their faith journey.

In class we have been talking about what we know, and what we want to learn about reconciliation.  The year fours are exploring why reconciliation is so important within our community.

This came from our class discussion surrounding the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  It was great to see what we already knew, and what we want to find out!

This came from our class discussion surrounding the Sacrament of Reconciliation. It was great to see what we already knew, and what we want to find out!

Acts of Kindness.

Does anyone want to share any acts of kindness that they have shown this week?

Also, if you want a head start on next week’s Religion/Inquiry lessons, find out what Reconciliation means.

20 thoughts on “Religion

• Maybe I can, we could use this prayer for home time
        “Heavenly Father, thank you for the wonderful day we had today,
        we praise you for how lucky we are for the food we eat, the water we drink and the games we play. Help us make tommorow a better day, thank you Lord giving me life. Amen.”
        So can we have it what do you think? I think its good.

1. I thought of a prayer and it goes like this:

Thank you God for the food we eat

Thank you God for the air we breath,

Thank you God for making me,

Thank you God for everything,

Amen

2. Hi 3/4A,
    I have prayer that I would like to share here it is:
    Good Morning Heavenly Father,
    The sun has risen, You have given us all a new day.
    We come to school to work and play, but before we begin our journey today, we turn our minds to you and pray. Thank you Father for a good night sleep. Thank you Father for the food we eat. Thank you Father for the friends we meet and for our family we thank you father. Today Lord, help us to listen to each other and to learn to play as friends.
    Amen

Andrew 3/4A