Mathematics

Mathletics is up and running

(but be quick – it’s a trial for only 2 weeks)

To access Mathletics click here:   MATHLETICS

Geometry:  We have been learning all about Angles and 3D objects. Here are some photos of us creating 3D objects from Paddlepop sticks.

IMG_0062 IMG_0073 IMG_0072 IMG_0071 IMG_0070 IMG_0069 IMG_0068 IMG_0067 IMG_0066 IMG_0065 IMG_0064 IMG_0063

Week 2, February 2015

It’s been a great start to the year with all engines firing.  This week we looked at the skill of subitising (recognising a group of something – like dots – and being able to recognise how many there are quickly) and we have practised our number bonds to 10 (1 and 9, 2 and 8, 3 and 7 etc).  There’s also been some addition and times table races which are always a load of fun.  Who will take the challenge to beat Luke and Isaac?

IMG_0172 Using dice  IMG_0175 IMG_0176 Using counters and a grid of 10 IMG_0177 IMG_0179

*************************************************

New online maths program for practising skills

Mr Bossini has found an excellent math program for students (and adults).  It’s called the Khan Academy.  I have sent a link to some students to have a trial of it.  If you are interested in trialling it too, you can let me know in class or send me a message on here.

Here is the link (click here) if you and your parents want to check it out.

CHANCE

The new topic in maths is Chance.  Our pre test was a great way for me to get an insight into what the children already know/don’t know and we can work in ability groups from this to further our learning.  Here are the main areas that we will be covering:

• Describe possible everyday events and order their chances of occurring (ACMSP092)
  • Identify everyday events where one cannot happen if the other happens (ACMSP093)
  • Identify events where the chance of one will not be affected by the occurrence of the other (ACMSP094)

Division

Our unit on division is well under way.  The children are all working at their own pace to solve division equations.  You can use study ladder at home to practice your skills.  Show you parents how you solve these problems.  You can use skip counting, multiplication fact knowledge (inverse relationship) and the number line.

Here’s some for you to try:

1) If I share 18 cookies between 3 children, how many cookies will they each get?

2) If I share 25 lollies between 3 children, how many lollies will they each get? Will there be any left over?

3) If I share 78 balloons between 5 children, how many will each child have? Will there be any left over?

4) I have 7 guests joining me for dinner and I have 43 carrot sticks, will there be enough carrot sticks if we each get 6 sticks each?

ANSWERS are below

1) 6 cookies each. 2) 8 lollies each and 1 left over. 3) 15 balloons each and a remainder of 3. 4)No because there are 8 people eating (7 guest plus host) 8×6= 48  so we could have 5 carrot sticks each and there would be a remainder of 3.

MULTIPLICATION

Our new unit is Multiplication and guess what I LOVE IT!  Get ready for times tables games, a school array hunt, new strategies to solve large number multiplication and the Three for FREE rule is back but this time with Multiplication and Division! Maths is so exciting.
PERIMETER

We have been learning all about perimeter.  We looked at formal and informal units of measurement, the importance of a uniform measurement and how to use measuring equipment properly.  We used trundle wheels and measuring tapes outdoors, and used our rulers and the measuring tapes inside our classroom.  We used hand spans, foot lengths, pencils and even EASTER EGGS (!) as informal units of measurement.  We measured things like the height of the chairs and tables, the door width and even our friends to practice.  Then we measured shapes made out of masking tape, and areas in the playground to find the perimeter of things.

Have a look at our pictures.

trundle wheel JadePerimeter Perimeter of shapes photo 2 (2) photo 4 (1) photo 4 (3) Perimeter Perimeter photo 1 (5)

MATH GAMES

Sean, Jade and Eric playing a fun maths game.

The highest number wins!  A great way to learn how to read numbers 4 and 5 digit numbers.

The highest number wins! A great way to learn how to read numbers 4 and 5 digit numbers.

Holiday questions.  Can you make up some questions for the students in the class.  Maybe perimeter, what’s the difference between…,  3 for free, or any addition or subtraction questions!

Here’s some for you:  total 28, 15, 2, 5  and explain how you worked it out.

If I am 32 years old and my sister is 25 years old, what is the difference in age between us?

If a square has equal sides and the perimeter is 28cm, how long is each side?

Our current topic in maths is ADDITION.  We have been exploring the different ways in which we can add numbers up.  The class came up with many strategies including:

-Tens and Units

-Rounding

-Counting on

-Skip counting

-Multiplication facts

100 square

In our books we had to answer 7 equations but…we had to EXPLAIN how we mentally worked it out.  It was hard writing our thoughts down to explain which process/strategy we used.

How would you work out 49 + 49?  Which strategy would you use?

What about 66 + 66?

EXTENSION – Some students have moved on to adding numbers that have decimals!  For example 4.1234 + 3.025  VERY TRICKY!

The = sign

Exploring how = sign does not mean ANSWER.  It means EQUALS or the SAME as.

Exploring how = sign does not mean ANSWER. It means EQUALS or the SAME as.

= sign

Andrew explores how we can prove that 10-3 = 4 +3

Maths balancing =

PLACE VALUE

In our place value topic we looked at the value of numbers! For example the number 52 can be partitioned into 50 and 2.  The 5 in the number does not represents 5 units, it represents 5 tens (so 50).  We looked as far as millions!!  Can you tell what value each number represents in 3,450,287?  if the 5 represents 50,000 what does value does the number 3 hold in this?

STATISTICS

Sienna shows us how we can display information in a column graph

We looked at representing data in a number of ways.  The hardest thing about making the graphs was using our ruler correctly and making sure the scale on each axis were even!  We know that a graph needs a title and labels too.

41 thoughts on “Mathematics

1. Hi everyone I have a question for you:
    What is it which occurs once in a minute,twice in a moment and not once in a hundred years?
    (a)a clock (b)a minute (c)the letter ‘t’ (d)the letter ‘m’

2. Great question Michael, I’m glad you gave me a multiple choice – otherwise I would have been stumped! The answer is D (the letter M)

3. Andrew – how did you get that answer? Have a look at the question again. It says if a square with equal sides has a perimeter of 28cm how long would each side be?

4. Dear Miss Abdilla ,
    Can you please show me how to put on a Sudoku activity or can you put one on for me?
    from Sean .

5. Dear Miss Abdilla,

Thanks for putting that sudoku game, I love sudoku like sean I hope it will keep me entertained.
    From jude:)

6. I have got a easy question for you but you can only work this out if you know your times tables:

1 2 6 42
    2 3 7 ?
    What is ?.

7. Dear miss Abdilla,
    I have just started to learn a bit of Algebra but am not 100% for each question.I have started x but nothing else,i am soon learning why because there the main letters.I think i do a different way to others because my sister doesn’t do my way and Michal doesn’t.

From Jude:)

8. I admire some peoples determination in maths . I am talking about people who have trouble with maths. If you want an extra Maths class from me then just tell me.You people are very determined. I give you a huge round of applause.

9. Dear Miss Abdilla (Mrs Bruce),
    I think that so far this year Miss Abdilla (Mrs Bruce) you have made us all inspired in maths because at the start of the year most of us including me didnt really like maths until now….
    From Cristina 3/4A

• I’m so pleased to hear you are enjoying maths now! It’s all about confidence and having strategies up your sleeve. Once you learn it and it clicks, you’ll keep getting stronger and stronger.

10. Dear 3/4A(including me!!!!),
    Please someone in 3/4A beat Luke and Isaac because they are very good and if you beat them you are a super star! Also in math I am getting good and so is the rest of 3/4A.

From Laura Kallis 3/4A

• I think you should try and beat them at times table races. It can be done…you just need to practice. I love how each member of the class has their own strengths. We are a great team.

11. Dear Mrs Bruce,
    I liked the old pictures of maths last year it looked like everyone was having so much fun I even thought that the mystery about who will win the math competition against Luke and Isaac.
    from Alannah

12. Hi Mrs Bruce,

So far in maths I have been working out how to do fractions and other math problems. I am getting more comfident about maths.
    From Christine.