Molly’s story

Today we had a visit from Mrs Dragonetti who told us a story about Molly.

IMG_8677 IMG_8675 IMG_8674 image1

Molly was an Aboriginal girl who was taken away by the welfare truck.  She was taken to an orphanage run by nuns 1600kms away.  At the orphanage her skin was scrubbed and they were shown to their bunk beds.  Molly wondered if she would ever return home.  One night she escaped with some others and followed the rabbit fence to find her way home.  They travelled for days and had many cuts and bruises from the long days of walking.  When they stumbled on a dead Emu one day they made a fire and cooked the Emu. They saved some of the meat in the Dilly bag.  It took 9 long weeks to get home and reunite with their family.  That was her story of migration.  Molly lived to 87 and her daughter wrote her story which has now been turned into a movie called “Rabbit Proof Fence”.  There is also a book written by Molly’s daughter called “Home to Mother” which is a children’s book. Many aboriginals have a similar story and live in our community today, some were able to reconnect yet others never did.

The RED line shows the rabbit fence.

The RED line shows the rabbit fence.

picture of the rabbit proof fence

picture of the rabbit proof fence

Emu feathers

Emu feathers

Twigs that would have been used to make fire

We got to feel the red sand and see a real Dilly Bag.

“I think they would have been scared” – Emily

“At the end they were happy” – Laura

“I would have felt proud to have reached home” – Simone

“She would have been depressed” – Gabriel

“I think she would be terrified” – Alana

“When they were first taken they were playing but then when they were in the van they were scared and petrified”.

“It could be a bad memory, so I think the photo was scrunched up so they could forget” – Jack M

One thought on “Molly’s story

1. I hope everyone learnt something about our Australian history today. Molly’s story was sad but was happy at the end when she reached home!
    Post a sentence about what you thought.